Gluteus Minimus Exercises
Do you know the longest and most powerful muscle group in the human body? It’s the gluteal muscles, which are present in your buttocks or hips region. This muscle group comprises three gluteus muscles, namely Maximus, Medius, and Minimus. Out of these, the gluteus minimus lies in the outer region of the hips. Essentially, this muscle works with the gluteus medius to help the thighs to abduct and rotate. Here, we will check out the 9 best gluteus minimus exercises for bodybuilding.
Side Plank Dips With Leg Raise
Target Muscles – Gluteus Minimus, Hip Adductors, Gluteus Medius, Abs, Obliques
Side Plank Dips with Leg Raise is a very effective exercise to target several body muscles simultaneously. This exercise helps to tone and strengthen the gluteal and hip adductor muscles. Furthermore, it helps in building a strong core by targeting abs and obliques. The best thing about this workout is that you don’t need any equipment for doing it.
How To Do The Side Plank Dips With Leg Raise Exercise?
- Lie down on the floor on your right side. Make sure your body is completely straight from head to toe.
- Now lift your upper body by placing your right elbow straight under your shoulder.
- After that, slowly lift your butt off the floor by using core strength. Stop when your head, back, thighs, knees, and toes are in a straight line.
- Then, raise your left leg in the air without bending it.
- Reverse these steps to return to the position in the second step.
- Repeat these steps 15-20 times per set, and switch sides.
Muscles Worked – Gluteus Minimus, Maximus, & Medius, Hamstrings, Back, Shoulders, Core, Lats
Kettlebell Swings is one of the best full-body workouts to build strength, agility, and mobility. This super-effective exercise helps to tone and fortify the glutes, especially the gluteus minimus. Furthermore, it helps to make the core, back and arms stronger too. To perform this exercise, you will need a kettlebell weighing 5-10kgs.
How To Do The Kettlebell Swings Exercise?
- Stand straight with both feet shoulder-wide apart. Hold the handle of the kettlebell firmly with both your hands.
- Keep your arms straight and bend your upper body forward to swing the kettlebell between your legs.
- Stand back up by thrusting your hips forward to swing and raise the kettlebell in front of your chest.
- After that, again bend your upper body forward and do the same steps again.
- Repeat these steps 15-20 times per set.
Lying Hip Abductions
Muscle Worked – Gluteus Minimus, Gluteus Medius, Hip Flexors, Core
Lying Hip Abductions is an excellent exercise for the toning and strengthening of gluteal muscles. This exercise helps to improve knee stability and build the perfect round buttocks. Also, this workout is great for fortifying the core muscles.
How To Do The Lying Hip Abductions Exercise?
- Lie down on the floor on your right side. Lift your upper body off the floor by placing the right elbow right underneath your shoulders.
- Now engage your gluteus minimus muscle to raise your left leg straight up in the air.
- Raise it as high as possible for you and then bring it down to the initial position.
- Repeat these steps 15-20 times per set, and then switch sides.
Muscles Worked – Gluteus Minimus, Gluteus Maximus, Gluteus Medius, Hips, Core
Fire Hydrants are an extremely effective butt toning and shaping exercise. This exercise targets all the gluteal muscles, along with the core and hips. Furthermore, it’s also very helpful in alleviating backache and lowering chances of injury.
How To Do The Fire Hydrants Exercise?
- Get down on all fours i.e. bent knees and straight extended arms right under the shoulders.
- Lift the right knee off the floor and raise it towards the right side. Stop when it’s parallel to your abdomen.
- Return the right leg to the initial position and do the same steps again.
- Repeat these steps 15-20 times per set, and switch legs.
Muscles Worked – Glutes, Hamstrings, Quads, Hip Flexors, Inner & Outer Thighs
When it comes to the lower body exercises without equipment, side lunges are one of the best. This amazing workout helps to tone, strengthen, and build the entire lower body muscles. Furthermore, it helps to make your body more agile, stable, balanced, and mobile.
How To Do The Side Lunges Exercise?
- Stand straight with both feet apart at twice your shoulder-width.
- Now bend your right knee to lower your body on the right side. While doing so, make sure your back and left leg are completely straight.
- Lower your body as much as possible without losing balance.
- Engage your glutes to lift your body back to the initial position.
- Now do the same steps again towards your left side.
- Repeat these steps 15-30 times on each side per set.
Muscles Worked – Gluteal Muscles, Quadriceps, Hip Abductors
As the name suggests, this exercise is another variation of the standard lunges exercise. Curtsy Lunges are known to sculpt, build, and fortify the buttocks perfectly. Furthermore, it also helps to improve the overall balance, stability, and explosive power of the lower body.
How To Do The Curtsy Lunges Exercise?
- Stand straight with both your feet hip-width apart. To make this exercise more effective, hold a dumbbell in each hand near your shoulders.
- Now lift your right foot and place it 12-15 inches behind your left foot.
- At the same time, lower your body by bending both knees at a 90-degree angle. Thus, your right knee will almost touch the floor while your left knee will be bent in the front.
- Hold this position for a second and then reverse these steps to return to the initial position.
- Repeat these steps with alternate legs 15-20 times per set.
Muscles Worked – Gluteus Minimus, Gluteus Maximus, Hamstrings, Core, Abs
As you can guess, Glute Bridge is an exercise that mainly targets your gluteal muscles. Furthermore, it helps to build lower body strength, balance, stability, and mobility. Also, it’s an excellent workout for toning and fortifying the core and abdominal region. The best thing about this exercise is that you need no special equipment to do it.
How To Do The Glute Bridge Exercise?
- Lie down straight on the floor on your back. Place your arms on the floor near your buttocks.
- Bend your knees to bring your feet towards your buttocks.
- After that, squeeze your glutes to lift your buttocks off the floor. Stop when your chest, core, and knees are in a straight line.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds and then lower your body slowly into the initial position.
- Repeat these steps a few times daily.
Barbell Hip Thrust
Muscles Worked – Glutes, Hamstrings, Hip Adductors, Quadriceps, Core
Barbell Hip Thrust is the perfect exercise to build lower body and core strength. It helps to carve perfectly toned buttocks for you. Furthermore, it helps to improve the mobility and stability of athletes and old people.
How To Do The Barbell Hip Thrust Exercise?
- Sit in the center of a gym bench and place a barbell rod on your upper thighs.
- Now slide your body down to bring your upper back on the bench. Thus, your knees, buttocks, back, and shoulders will come in a straight line.
- After that, lower down your hips as much as possible while squeezing your glutes.
- After reaching the lowest point, slowly lift your body back to the initial position.
- Repeat these steps 15-20 times per set.
Internal Rotation Leg Raises
Muscles Worked – Glutes, Hips, Hamstrings, Quadriceps
Internal Rotation Leg Raises is one of the best lower body exercises without equipment. This exercise helps to tone, build, and strengthen the gluteal muscles. Furthermore, it also helps to improve the agility and flexibility of the lower body.
How To Do The Internal Rotation Leg Raises Exercise?
- Lie down straight on the floor on your back.
- Bend your knees to bring your feet closer to your buttocks.
- Now lift your right leg and place it on your left thigh by crossing it over.
- After that, lift your left leg to bring both legs towards your abdominal area.
- Then, slowly return it to the previous position.
- Repeat these steps 15-20 times per set, and then switch legs.
The Bottom Line!
So these are the 9 most effective gluteus minimus exercises for bodybuilding. The inclusion of these exercises into your regular workout can give you amazing results in no time. However, you need to consume nutrient-dense and protein-rich foods rather than calorie-dense ones. For this, a licensed dietician will be able to guide you in a much better way. Also, make sure to avoid over-exertion of your body, as it can lead to serious problems or injuries.