Natural Herbs For Depression
Depression is one of the most common mental and heart health problems all over the world. It is a severe condition that causes elevation or lowering of the mood. A person suffering from depression may experience sadness, anger, or breakdown. This mental condition can affect people of all ages, including children, teenagers, and adults. It can hinder your daily work and efficiency. Also, it can ruin your personal and professional relationships with people. There is no cure for depression, yet you can manage its symptoms and effects with treatments. Today, we will know about the 5 best natural herbs to fight depression.
But before getting into that, let’s know a bit more about depression.
Numerous factors can cause depression. These factors may be genetic or incidental. Here are some of the common causes of depression.
- Hereditary – People with a family history of depression or other mental disorders are prone to this disorder.
- Childhood Trauma – Childhood trauma can act as a trigger for depression in certain fearful and traumatic circumstances.
- Health Disorders – Health disorders like sleeplessness, chronic sickness, chronic pain, and ADHD may also cause depression.
- Drug Abuse – Taking too many drugs or drinking too much alcohol can also lead to depression.
- Underactive Brain – In some people, the underactive frontal lobe of the brain causes this severe mood disorder.
People suffering from depression may experience a variety of symptoms. However, there’s no guarantee that everyone will experience the same symptoms. Here are some of the common signs of depression.
- Mood Swings
- Emotional Changes
- Behavioral Changes
- Lack of sexual desire
- Poor cognitive functioning
- Sleeplessness or poor sleep quality
- Physical problems
Conventional Depression Treatments
Depression is an incurable mental disorder. However, specific treatments can help in reducing the symptoms of this mood disorder. Furthermore, proper treatment can help keep depression at bay and improve the quality of life. Here are some of the treatment options available for depression.
- Medication – Medicinal treatments for this disorder include antidepressants, anti-anxiety drugs, and antipsychotic medicines.
- Psychotherapy – Getting psychotherapy from an expert therapist can help you manage symptoms and effects.
- Light Therapy – This therapy involves exposing the patients to bright white light. It helps to improve the mood and reduce depression signs.
- Exercise – Working out daily for 30-40 minutes is an excellent way to reduce signs of this mental disorder. It is because exercise boosts the production of endorphins, the mood-lifting hormones.
- Other therapies – Therapies like CBT, acupuncture, and meditation help fight off depression signs and effects.
Natural Herbs To Fight Depression
Apart from the traditional treatment methods, there are natural ways to manage depression too. For this, several natural herbs can reduce the symptoms of this mood disorder. Here are the top five herbs to manage and reduce depression symptoms.
Ginseng is an herbal plant that originates in the Asian and American continents. Chinese people have been using ginseng herb to make the mind strong and active. Furthermore, this herb may also fight off depression symptoms like fatigue and disappointment. Several medical studies show these positive effects of ginseng in depression patients. Ginseng also helps to boost immunity, manage diabetes, and fight cancer. However, consult an ayurvedic doctor before you start consuming this incredible herb.
Saffron is one of the best herbal spices that help to fight off depression signs and effects. Several medical studies link saffron with positive results in depression patients. It is because it boosts the production of a mood-improving neurotransmitter called serotonin. Furthermore, this herbal spice also works as an antidepressant medicine for patients suffering from this mood disorder. Saffron also helps to decrease hunger and boost weight loss. Other benefits of saffron include cancer prevention and alleviation of PMS symptoms.
Chamomile is a powerhouse of antioxidants, folate, minerals, and vitamins. As per medical studies, chamomile is an effective herb for treating and fighting off depression. Furthermore, reduce helps to people with anxiety and stress better than a placebo. Regular consumption of this incredible herb can help improve sleep quality. Proper sleep is quite helpful in reducing the effects of depression. Chamomile offers other health benefits like better digestion, cancer prevention, and diabetes management.
Rhodiola is another highly effective herb that helps to drive away depression signs and effects. Furthermore, it also improves the mind’s ability to respond to stressful circumstances. Several medical studies show positive effects of Rhodiola on patients with depressive symptoms. The study states that this herb boosts the communication ability of the brain’s nerve cells. Additional benefits of Rhodiola include higher energy, cancer prevention, and blood sugar management.
Last but not least, lavender oil is one of the best relaxing and mood-elevation herbs. People all over the world use lavender oil to reduce anxiety and bad mood. Several medical studies link lavender oil with better sleep quality and stress relief. This incredible herb also helps to promote hair growth and reduce inflammation. Furthermore, lavender helps reduce menstrual cramp pain.
That’s a wrap!
These are the five best natural herbs for depression treatment. However, it is advisable to discuss with an expert ayurvedic doctor before your start using these herbs. It will help in reducing the chances of side effects and other potential problems. Also, make sure to do yoga, exercise, and meditation regularly to relax your mind. Lastly, avoid drinking alcohol or smoking cigarettes if you’re suffering from depression. Eat a healthy diet to stay fit, both mentally and physically.