Novel Coronavirus or COVID-19 is currently creating havoc all around the world. Originated in the Wuhan city of China, this virus is continuously infecting people all around the world. The novel coronavirus spreads similarly like the common flu. Thus, if an infected person sneezes or coughs nearby, you can easily get infected through saliva droplets in the air. Also, if you touch something onto which an infected person sneezed or coughed, you can get infected. Also, standing close to an infected person while he talks or exhales can result in spread of infection. Currently, there is no vaccine or proven treatment to cure this disease. Thus, it’s very essential to know the best diet tips to prevent COVID-19 disease.
This is why we have prepared a list of the most excellent foods to avoid getting infected by the COVID-19. But before that, let’s know every important thing to know about this infectious disease.
COVID-19 & It’s Symptoms
According to various medical reports, COVID-19 or Novel Coronavirus is allegedly a bat-borne viral disease. The reason behind this is that the novel coronavirus is genetically similar to a bat coronavirus. The first case of this disease was reported in Wuhan in December 2019. After that, it quickly spread throughout the whole world in a few days. Currently, there are around 3.53 million confirmed cases around the world. Out of these, almost 247,000 have already lost their lives while 1115,000 have successfully recovered.
The symptoms of this disease include fever, cough, cold, vomiting, breathlessness, and diarrhea. In many cases, the symptoms may automatically disappear in a few days. However, in other cases, the symptoms may become worse over time, and hospitalization is necessary. If anyone is experiencing any of the above-mentioned symptoms, the person should self isolate themselves and immediately call the local coronavirus medical helpline number.
Diet To Prevent COVID-19 Disease
Our physical and psychological health depends 80% on our diet and 20% on exercise. Whenever a person is sick or hospitalized, he/she is often told to follow a specific healthy diet plan. Thus, a healthy diet can help in quickening the recovery and treatment process. In the same way, a healthy diet plan can also help in protecting us from various diseases. As COVID-19 is a serious disease with no proven cure, it’s highly recommended to eat healthy foods to increase immunity and prevent the disease.
Here are some of the best diet tips to avoid getting infected by the COVID-19 disease.
- Stay Hydrated – Water is one of the most important drinks to avoid several health issues. Drinking enough water helps in eliminating toxins, viruses, and other harmful agents from the body. You can also add some other ingredients to make water healthier and immunity-booster. For this purpose, you can easily add various readily available ingredients like ginger, tulsi, mint, and lemons to it. All these ingredients are medically proven to possess antiviral and immunity-boosting properties. Thus, you need to consume these drinks throughout the day to stay hydrated.
- Eat Immunity-Boosting Foods – Coronavirus is most commonly known to affect people with weak immunity. Thus, everyone needs to eat immunity-boosting foods to prevent infection. If you’ve got a strong immune system, your body will automatically fight and kill the virus. Some of the best immunity boosting foods include tulsi, turmeric, oranges, broccoli, spinach, ginger, ashwagandha, garlic, mushrooms, and flax seeds.
- Consume More Proteins – Protein is one of the most important nutrients in the human body. Proteins help in boosting the immunity, while also fighting away various viral and bacterial infections. Also, proteins help in repairing and regenerating body tissues. Thus, you need to consume at least 30gms of protein daily. For this, you can consume nuts, boiled peanuts, and other healthy sources of protein.
- Consume Warm Lemon Water – Warm lemon water helps in keeping the body alkaline by balancing the pH levels. Also, it helps in reducing the acidic levels of the body. This further helps in preventing viral infections and other serious health problems like cancer. Thus, you need to consume warm lemon water once or twice daily. Advertisement
- Consume Probiotics – Probiotic drinks and foods are very effective in preserving and improving gut health. This further helps in the removal of harmful toxins and viruses from the body. Also, it helps in boosting the immune system. Thus, you can buy various probiotic products like yogurt from the market. Consume it daily or every second day for good gut health.
- Avoid Eating From Outside – Eating foods from restaurants or stalls can easily get you infected. This can happen due to the counters and other spots being contaminated with coronavirus. Moreover, the food storage units & cold storage of restaurants might also be contaminated. Thus, it’s highly recommended to cook food at home after washing fruits and vegetables in warm water.
- Avoid Mucus Producing Foods – Several foods can cause the production of mucus inside the body. As COVID-19 is s respiratory disease, excessive mucus production can always result in breathlessness and throat issues. Thus, it’s very important to avoid eating mucus producing foods. These foods include milk, eggs, bananas, bread, potatoes, soy products, curd, and frozen foods, etc.
- Avoid Eating Raw Fruits & Veggies – When transported, vegetables and fruits are often kept frozen in storage to prevent decay. Thus, it is very important to avoid eating veggies & fruits in raw form. To remove the contamination, you need to wash them properly in warm water. Also, you can soak the veggies and fruits in warm water for some time. As coronavirus is known to die in hot temperatures, hot water will make sure of it.
Essential Tips To Prevent COVID-19 Infection
Apart from these diet tips, here are some other essential tips to prevent coronavirus infection.
- Wash your hands properly with soap for at least 20 seconds to remove all kinds of contaminations.
- Use alcohol-based hand sanitizers, whenever soap and water are not available for you. For this purpose, you need to always carry personal hand-sanitizers with you in your bag or pocket.
- Wear face masks whenever going outside or meeting people for any purpose.
- Avoid getting close to an infected person and maintain social distance while meeting anyone.
- Use disinfectants at the office to remove all kinds of viruses and contaminations, if any. Everything including the gates, doorknobs, furniture, machines, and desks, need to be disinfected.
- If anyone experiences the symptoms of COVID-19, they should immediately isolate themselves and contact medical support.
- Proper sleep is very important to preserve and boost your immunity. Thus, everyone needs to have a proper sleep of 7-8 hours daily.
- Apply virgin coconut oil or Vaseline on the whole body to prevent direct body touches.
- Practice Yoga & Meditation, as these are very effective in purifying the lungs and strengthening our mind.
- Gargle with lukewarm salt water every day to keep your throat clear of the bacteria and viruses.
- Take steam regularly to kill the bacteria and viruses in your throat and nasal tracts.
The Bottom Line!
So these were the top best diet tips to prevent COVID-19 disease from spreading. By following these tips, you will be able to make your body’s immune system strong enough to fight the infection. You can get in touch with a licensed dietician to get a custom diet plan made especially for you.
WHO recommended measures to reopen offices after COVID-19 lockdown can be found here
If you have any queries or suggestions, feel free to write below in the comments section.
A very helpful article in the current situation. thank u so much.