The Flexitarian Diet
With the increasing impurities in different products like beverages, pulses, fruits, bakery, and even milk items, there has been an increase in awareness too. Many people now know how to identify these products. They solve the equation by either transferring to another alternative or by going for a healthy substitute for the products. But, we cant remain away from adulteration in its entirety.
For instance, we can’t say no to milk. Even if we check each and every vegetable, we can’t tell if it is improvised with artificial injections or not. We can judge the preparation of fast food. And we can not separate the stones from pulses that easily can we?
What we can do here is change our lifestyle or eating habits. Nowadays, many people are creating their own diet plan, diet charts and diet routines to adapt healthiness in their lives. Some people go all-organic by adapting that vegan diet while others embrace protein-rich diet including nonveg and fish. Some try to cut carbs in the diet and some other fitness enthusiasts look to eat without a cap to gain muscle weight quickly. One such diet that is gaining popularity and acknowledgment is the flexitarian diet. Let’s get to know about this incredible phenomenon in detail
What is flexitarian diet?
When trying to know more about the flexitarian diet, it is important to know that it concerns about vegan and non-veg diet. This is a type of diet that is made for vegetarian people, yet still serves good for non-veg eaters. The flexitarian diet is a vegetarian diet with a lenient addition of meat. This means a person following this diet can include meat whenever required, for the purpose. Since there is flexibility in the diet, it is called a Flexitarian diet. A person following this diet can be called flexitarian. The person can eat vegetarian but doesn’t need to border his guilt about not eating the desired meat.
In short, a flexitarian isn’t vegan, nor it is a completely non-vegetarian diet. Many people refer to the flexitarian diet to be rather a lifestyle choice than a diet itself. It does not have the sturdiness or the discipline of a strict diet routine. And that’s why it is the preferred choice for many.
Why should you chose a Flexitarian diet over other diets routine
It has become a trend nowadays to suggest a new diet routine to everyone you meet. Also, the internet is swarming with millions of articles depicting confusing diet patterns for different people. But, the Flexitarian showcases a pearl of simple wisdom that fits ideally for 9 out of 10 people. If you are still confused, here are some reasons why should you love this diet routine:
Flexitarian diet vs Vegan diet
Many people who have a habit of eating a vegan diet can easily adapt such courses of life. But for those who can’t live without meat, vegan diet becomes a hurdle. They listen from everyone how eating only vegan can improve health which is not true.
They try to work hard to leave the craving and expect to see the result as they did hard work. This approach is wrong. The flexitarian diet addresses this challenge. For people thinking about what to eat during vegan lunch or meals, they can choose their own preferences and even select meat. This eradicates the problem of having to give up your lovable food.
The same is the case for people having a non-veg diet schedule and trying to adopt vegetarian. They can feed upon their lovable household vegan diet while taking a non-veg diet alongside. This is a win-win for both types of people. Flexitarian diet is hence, purely appealing. It offers flexibility for all genres of people. it is a better and more realistic approach to eating habits.
No points for guessing, the flexitarian diet is healthier for your pocket too. We know that non-veg items are expensive than their counterparts. Hence, the diet comes with a budget-friendly habit. Even if you are on this diet and decide to dine somewhere out, the options in vegetarian cuisine are cheaper. This allows you to make a notable saving while cutting down expenses on meat items.
No cutting short of animal proteins
When we work out or train our muscles, we require protein the most. This is because we tear down our muscles during aggressive exercises and they rebuild making them grow stronger. To rebuild muscles, you need proteins. And there is no better option than getting animal proteins. You get to have this through pork, beef, chicken and even eggs. When you are no flexitarian diet, you are not deprived of animal proteins as you may include them easily.
We know that proteins are essential for our overall health too. It increases our stamina, strength, and immunity. When you are on the flexitarian diet, you can benefit from occasional healthy options giving you a rich amount of proteins.
You are getting a nutritious diet
This is one obvious perk of the diet. Same as a non-veg diet providing proteins, the vegan diet is giving you nutrition essential for a healthy build-up. When you consume leafy vegetables, you get more iron. When you have fruits and lettuce in salads, you get to consume fiber. And you can also consume carbs essential for your body through healthy vegetables. The vegan diet will provide you essential nutrients including vitamins, fat, proteins, minerals and other elements.
Flexitarian diet to cut out the extra fat
A simple benefit of a flexitarian diet is that it helps you lose weight
Some other unheard benefits
- The flexitarian diet is an epitome of health-boosting. The diet is proven to be good for women maintaining lower body weight and body fat. This is better in comparison to women who are having a meat diet.
- When you are taking a Flexitarian diet, you are putting emphasis on fruits, vegetables, grains and pulses having dense calories. When you combine it with a bit of meat, you get to feel full after a short meal. This results in better fat cutting. Simply start regular exercise and you can lose more in less time.
- Individuals following this diet routine can enjoy both ends of the rope. They encourage themselves to take a non-veg diet along with vegan and access their metabolism closely. They can then devise out the best health outcomes by altering the levels of the diet. The plant concentration in the diet adds up to the overall nutritional value of the diet. it offers the best of both worlds.
- If you are following this diet, you are less susceptible to consume the harmful substances of meat. The probability is less and allows for the body-loving micronutrients to take place in our body system. The micronutrients than form minerals, fiber, and vitamins that are always beneficial.
- The diet is an epitome of flexibility. It can help you alter your diet while not having to worry about avoiding a dish during family get-togethers. You can enjoy a meal with meat as well as salad. You don’t have to give up on a non-veg diet entirely. You get to have freedom of feasibility in terms of healthy choices. This will never bore you and you will enjoy following the diet for years to come.
Flexitarian diet meal plan
What to eat?
If you are entering the world of a flexitarian diet, you might have to skip meat a couple of days every week. You can consume only up to 26 pounds of meat every week in the beginning. When you gain a little experience, at following this diet regime, you can start practicing 4 or 5 meatless days each week. This amounts to 16 ounces of meat or poultry each weak.
When you become pro at following the diet, you can have 5 meatless days during each week. This amounts to consumption as much as 9 ounces.
One might progress slow, but as you advance, the negative effects and meat consumption decreases. This results in a healthier food regime altogether. You should keep in mind that you have to avoid processed red meat. This is because it can post serious cancer risks along with other harmful effects on our bodies.
Steps to becoming a true flexitarian
After knowing the facts and planning on your regime, its time to become a flexitarian. Fret not, it is not as difficult as it seems on paper. In fact, it is easier than most of the diets.
As a first step, you need to practice kitchen overhaul. This involves planning and preparation and even some paperwork. You can easily sense the confidence and you will be able to prepare a good meal plan while strategizing it noticeably.
The next step is to start becoming meatless. The breakfast is the best option to eradicate meat. This also allows you to move onto a meatless lunch. You can choose a couple of days when you have to eat entirely vegan diets. You can include new vegetable recipes. You may increase more meatless days. Keep it a point to go easier at first and then increase the amount.
As the third step, you should start finding some great flexitarian recipes. The Internet is a good place to look for options. You can make a list and then go shop for groceries. Planning and making new recipes will spark new elements in the regime. Also, it is important to avoid keeping something tempting and healthy in the house.
You should avoid stocking with too much animal protein. You can calculate the ounces you need for the week and then purchase only that amount. When shopping for meat items, look for grass-fed or organic options. Local options are also good for your health. You can choose white meat including poultry over other preparations.
The final step is to always mix things up. You can combine meat-free meals with subs to not lose the hands of variety. Some recognizable alternatives are tofu and tempeh. You can also use seitan and jackfruit. Other things to experiment include beans, healthy fats, balanced-meat, and lentils.
For all of your meat-free meals, mix up your subs to keep the variety alive. Tofu and tempeh are two of the most common alternatives, with seitan and jackfruit following close behind. Pair them with beans, lentils, and healthy fats for hearty, well-balanced meals. Need a few ideas? Look no further!
As one can easily guess, the main aim or objective of this diet is to reduce stress while enhancing the living standards of a person. It is the best choice when it comes to health and wellness. Above all, it provides an opportunity for individuals to love a new diet routine and adopt a new mode of living. And they can do this without losing track of any possible eating enjoyment.
Signing off, here are some amazing and perhaps alluring facts related to flexitarian diet:
- people on a flexitarian diet tend to live longer than those on the traditional American diet
- Wondering who created the unique concept of the Flexitarian diet, the name is Dawn Jackson Blatner
- A vegetarian cannot be a flexitarian, however, a flexitarian can be a vegetarian if he starts avoiding meal for a longer time
- A flexitarian can also be called semi-vegetarian since he adds up an occasional amount of meat in his diet and is no longer relying on eating an only vegan diet
- The diet focuses on eating plant proteins rather than consuming proteins available in animal meat.
- When you adopt a flexitarian diet, you have to eat the least processed food. The main emphasis on having natural forms of food
- You can easily remain healthy and even cut fat as you reduce the number of artificial sugars when on a flexitarian diet