Serious condition in which the gluten consumption causes damage & swelling of the small intestine. Basically, gluten refers to a protein found in grains like barley, wheat, and rye, etc. This inflammation is mainly caused due to triggering of an immune reaction in the small intestines. This can further lead to conditions like malabsorption in children i.e. the inability of the body to absorb nutrients. In addition to this, it can hinder their body growth & development. Thus, it is recommended for people suffering from celiac disease to eat gluten-free foods.
Causes of celiac disease
The most common causes are listed below.
- Post Surgery
- During Pregnancy
- After Childbirth
- Viral Infections
- Severely Stressed Emotional Mind
- Genetic Factors
- Individuals with an autoimmune thyroid disorder
- People suffering from Type-1 Diabetes
- People suffering from Addison’s disease & Turner Syndrome
Symptoms of celiac disease in adults
Here are some of the most common symptoms of celiac disease in adults.
- Gas Buildup– Several medical studies have shown that gas buildup is one of the symptoms of underlying celiac disease. Both gas buildup & bloating can happen whenever a person suffering from this disease consumes gluten. If you always experience excessive gas build after eating wheat, rye & barley, it might be due to this disorder. Therefore, it is recommended to get in touch with a doctor today.
Diarrhea – Diarrhea is the most commonly experienced symptom of celiac disease. If you have been noticing that your stool has been runny & watery, then it can be a sign of diarrhea. This happens due to the presence of untreated celiac disease in the body. If you have been suffering from diarrhea lately, it might be due to this disorder. Thus, you need to get it checked by a doctor as soon as possible.
- Bloating– Bloating is another common symptom of celiac disease. Bloating refers to the swelling up of the stomach due to the excessive accumulation of gas. This might happen due to the inflammation caused by celiac disease in the digestive tract. Most of the people suffering from this disease have reported the bloating problem. Therefore, if you have been experiencing a bloating issue, then you need to get a checkup today.
Tiredness and low body energy are both symptoms of an untreated celiac disorder. Several medical studies have shown that people eating gluten while suffering from this disease are always tired. Moreover, this disease can cause disturbances in the body to cause a deficiency of vitamins & minerals. Thus, you need to observe if you feel tired after eating gluten-rich foods.
- Decrease In Weight– People suffering from the celiac disease often experience a sudden loss of weight because of malabsorption. Also, it makes it difficult for the person to maintain his or her weight. Several medical studies have stated the sudden decrease in the weight to be a very common symptom of celiac disease. If you’re experiencing the same issue, get yourself checked by a doctor today.
Iron-Deficiency Anemia (IDA)
As the causes malabsorption in the body, it further leads to iron-deficiency anemia. Iron-deficiency anemia is a disorder in which there is a deficiency of RBCs in the body. Common symptoms of IDA include tiredness, headache, low energy, giddiness, and chest pain, etc. IDA can amplify the damage caused to the small intestine, which is why you need to get treated.
– While some patients experience diarrhea, others might experience constipation problems. This might happen due to the malabsorption of nutrients caused by celiac disease. The malabsorption of nutrients can further lead to the absorption of the stool’s moisture by the small intestine. Thus, the stool becomes rigid and isn’t able to pass normally.
Depression – Apart from bodily symptoms, there are psychological symptoms of this disease as well, such as depression. Many medical studies have linked depression with underlying disease. Furthermore, depression is more commonly found to be severe in adults than in children.
- Itchy Rashes– Sudden breakout of itchy rashes on your elbows, butt, and knees, is another symptom of this disease. The scientific term for this condition is dermatitis herpetiformis. Several medical studies have shown that itchy rashes can be due to underlying celiac disease.
- Other Symptoms – Other symptoms of celiac disease include nausea, mouth ulcers, joints pain, vomiting, bad temper, and delayed puberty, etc.
So these were the most common causes and symptoms of celiac disease. If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, you must get your medical checkup done today. this is a serious disorder, which shouldn’t be left untreated. For queries, feel free to comment below or get in touch with us through the ‘contact’ page.