A cape gooseberry, also known as Ras bhari, is an orange-colored fruit from the family of berries. Many people love this seasonally available fruit due to its sharp & sour taste. It is known by various names like Inca berry, Ground berry, and Golden Berry. The best thing about these berries is that you can eat them as a nutrition-filled snack. You can even add these as a tasty topping on your favorite dishes. These are grown in the South African Cape of Good Hope, hence these are known as the Cape Gooseberries.
There is a long list of amazing health benefits of eating cape gooseberries as listed below.
Gooseberry health benefits
- Rich In Vitamin C & antioxidants – Cape Gooseberries are filled with high amounts of Vitamin C and antioxidants. Vitamin C helps in enhancing the immune system, repairing & development of body tissues, healthy skin, and bone health. On the other hand, antioxidants help in preventing many types of chronic diseases like Cancer.
- Improves vision – This fruit is also rich in Vitamin A, which helps in improving the vision and boosting the immune system. Vitamin A is also very effective in preventing eye disorders. Moreover, these berries are also filled with iron, which helps in enhancing the eyesight greatly.
- Regulate diabetes – The presence of high amounts of soluble fiber in this fruit is great for people suffering from diabetes. This is because the soluble fiber helps in bringing down the sugar levels greatly. If you’re suffering from diabetes, make sure to talk to a doctor before eating these.
- Controls BP & cholesterol – If you have high blood pressure (BP) problems, then cape gooseberries are a great choice for you. Apart from this, these also help in regulating the cholesterol levels to avoid heart problems and strokes. Thus, you can stay healthier by consuming these berries.
- Cold & flu cure – The cape gooseberries are known to be an excellent cure for health problems like common cold & flu. Also, these can help in preventing both these problems from happening as well. The presence of antioxidants in this fruit helps in keeping the nasal passage clean & relieved.Advertisement
- Boosts digestion – The highly soluble fiber content in these berries can help in improving your digestive system. Along with this, your bowel movements are also enhanced by the fiber. Furthermore, including this fruit in your diet can help in preventing gastric problems like constipation.
- Weight loss – The cape gooseberries are rich in fiber, antioxidants, healthy fats, and vitamins. Thus, these are an excellent alternative for snacking in-between meals. As you will eat this healthy snack rather than junk foods, you’ll easily be able to achieve your weight loss targets.
- Bone strengthening – Because of the presence of Calcium, Vitamin C, and Phosphorus, these berries help in improving bone strength. Thus, you need to include these berries in your diet if you have weak bones. Also, eating these will help in preventing bone disorders like dermatitis.
- Anti-Inflammatory benefits – These berries are rich in antioxidants and polyphenols, which is why they can treat inflammatory disorders like asthma. Moreover, this fruit contains anthocyanins that are a great anti-inflammatory agent for pain and swelling.
- Liver & kidney health – Several medical studies have shown the positive effects of cape gooseberries for kidney & liver health. These berries help in eliminating the harmful toxins and salts from the body to keep kidneys and liver healthy. Moreover, many kidney and liver disease medicines make use of this fruit during preparation.
That’s all folks!
There were 10 amazing health benefits of eating cape gooseberries regularly. As this is a seasonal fruit, you can get it in the Indian market in-between January & May. However, it is always wiser that you talk to a licensed dietitian before you start consuming these. For any questions or suggestions, feel free to write to us in the comments section.