Epilepsy Diet and Treatment Approach
What are the quiz questions for seizures?
Suppose a person has a seizure, then does it mean that he/she has epilepsy?
Answer – If a person is having a seizure for the first time, then it does not suggest that he also has epilepsy. Usually, epilepsy characterized by recurrent seizures.
What is the powerful trigger for seizure?
Answer – There are many causes of seizure, but sleep deprivation is the most powerful one.
Name the most common seizure?
Answer – The grand mal seizure is the most common convulsions. In this type, the patient generally loses his mind and collapses down.
When do scientists discover epilepsy?
Answer – they discovered it first1950.
What are the things that can be affected by seizure clusters?
Answer – Quality of life, Morbidity, and Healthcare utilization are affected by seizure clusters.
What is the chief cause of epileptic seizures?
Answer – abnormal electrical activity in the brain is the principal cause of epileptic seizures.
When to call 911 during a seizure?
Answer – Most of the time, seizures are not that much serious. But one should call 911 during: –
- The person is getting his first seizure.
- The seizure is lasting longer than its normal time.
- The seizure is getting repeated over time.
- If mindfulness is not getting recovered.
What should be the epilepsy diet?
Keto diet for epilepsy
Taking a keto-diet is one of the best treatments for adults and children with epilepsy. The keto diet is a low carbohydrate and high-fat diet that is used to treat epilepsy since 1920. These diets are needed only when the AEDs (anti-epileptic drugs) are not able to control epilepsy. This diet reduces the strength and frequency of seizures and also boons the patient with several other positive effects.
70 Percent of the people around the globe who are suffering from seizures get it controlled by the AEDs. However, for some of them, keto-diet is the best alternative. Remarkably, patients must consider this regime with special care, guidance, and supervision.
How does epilepsy affect the behavior?
The vast category of people does not affect their behavior. There are still some people who show a behavioral change that is not acceptable socially. Most of the changes in the attitude are because of the pressure these people feel from society’s attitude towards disability.
Several factors can join a person with epilepsy to form depression, a sense of anxiety, a feeling of isolation, and low self-esteem. Many people suffering from these conditions learn to fight against them, while some respond to them in overly aggressive, introverted, or in an irritable behavior.
Can epilepsy be treated through surgery?
Several doctors reported that surgery could be a reliable option to treat seizures when no medication is working for the patient. The main goal of the operation is to reduce the strength and frequency of epileptic seizures with no medicines. If epilepsy is taken care of poorly, then a lot of health issues may occur. Some of them are as follows: –
- Depression and Anxiety.
- Reduction in memory and other thinking capabilities.
- Physical injuries.
- Death, a rare case.
There are different types of epilepsy surgeries. Let’s know about each of them in brief.
- Respective Surgery – This kind of surgery is the most common one. Here, a part of the brain got removed. The surgeon extracts that section of the brain where the seizure originated, where the spot of brain injury, tumor, etc. It happens in the brain part that controls emotions, visual memory, and language manipulation.
- Laser interstitial thermal therapy (LITT) – As the name suggests, this kind of surgery uses a laser to target and destroy a brief portion of brain tissue. MRI or Magnetic Resonance Imaging helps the surgeon.Advertisement
- Deep brain stimulation – It takes the help of an electrode that implants in the patient’s brain. This electrode releases electrical signals at a specific time gap to treat a seizure.
- Corpus callosotomy– This surgery is done to treat all the nerves joining the left and the right side of the brain. This type of surgery is most common in children.
- Hemispherectomy – 1. It is a technique to get rid of folded gray matter present on one side of the brain. This surgery is also well-known in children whose seizure originates from various sections of the brain.
- Functional hemispherectomy – It likewise fundamentally utilized in youngsters, is the undermining of the seizure-initiating side of the hemisphere to cut off its associations with the body’s sensory system without the genuine expulsion of mind tissue.
Can hormones affect epilepsy?
Hormones define as those chemicals, which originate in different glands and organs. They travel throughout the body with the help of the bloodstream. These hormones help in coordinating and controlling several functions in the body. Usually, these hormones monitor the heart rate, menstrual cycle, growth in muscle, hunger, etc. The 3 essential sex hormones which come under steroid hormones are progestogens, androgens, and estrogens.
There are different functions associated with sex hormones. One of the most important ones is that it helps in controlling our reproductive system. They also contribute to emotions, behavior, muscle mass, and bone strength.
As our main motive is to know whether hormones affect epilepsy is true or not. Thus, the answer to this question is yes. These sex hormones can control the nerve cells present in the brain. As a result, it is not wrong to state that seizures also controlled by them. Estrogen can make seizure to take place by exciting the brain cells. Progesterone present in women can prevent seizures in some women just by breaking down into some simpler substances.
If you are in a dilemma that hormones are playing a crucial role in your seizure, you should talk to a doctor about it. Blood tests about your hormones as well as your seizure will help you to clear your confusion.
Epilepsy is a neurological disorder since 1950. Yes, the number of patients facing epilepsy increases annually. However, there are possible treatments that keep arising for the proper treatment concerning every patient. Although you might think that your diet lifestyle has nothing to do with epilepsy, the truth is the opposite. Through keto-diet, you can manage your epilepsy comfortably and efficiently as 70% of the epileptic patients done worldwide. If your case started to show complications and you feel that the medications are not working well with you.
There is still a chance for a better life through surgeries. Numerous types of operations will work with your case, excellently. Surprisingly, hormones can play a crucial role in your epileptic case. If you are reliably monitoring your case and you still think that there is another influence on your state. If you believe there is another parameter worsening your situation. When you are not getting the expected treatment, then you shall contact your physician. In all cases, always cheer up because there is no disease on earth with no cure. Keep in mind that you can get better so soon.
We will wait for you to check our previous articles related to epilepsy. Also, we promise you to post more posts that include new information that surely you will like on our blog.