Diabetes Muscle Cramps
Diabetes is a disease in which blood sugar levels increase suddenly. It’s one of the most common health problems around the world. Furthermore, diabetes can cause several other health issues like diabetes muscle cramps. These muscle cramps can be quite painful for a person. Waking up at night due to extreme muscle pain is never a pleasant experience. In this condition, a diabetic patient might feel a sudden pain in the feet or calves.
Thus, here we will learn everything about diabetes muscle cramps at night. Also, we will check out the home remedies to treat or prevent this problem.
What Causes Diabetes Muscle Cramps?
A cramp is an unexpected, uncontrolled, and painful contraction of a muscle. In diabetes, cramps can occur due to many different possible factors. Here are some common causes of diabetic muscle cramps.
- Diabetic Neuropathy- One of the primary causes of these muscle cramps is diabetic neuropathy. It’s a health condition that causes nerve damage. Common causes of diabetic neuropathy include fluctuating blood sugar levels or untreated diabetes. Its symptoms include pain, numbness, and stinging sensation.
- Unmanaged Blood Sugar Levels- Glucose plays a vital role in the contraction and relaxation of body muscles. Thus, high or low blood sugar levels can affect the normal working of muscles. Therefore, it’s quite important to manage blood sugar levels to prevent muscle cramps.
- Dehydration- The water we drink helps to balance the levels of electrolytes in the body. Thus, if you don’t consume sufficient water, it can cause muscle cramps. So drink at least 3-4 liters of water daily.
- Lack of Nutrition- Essential nutrients like vitamins and minerals are vital for the body. They help in regulating the normal functioning of our muscles. Thus, lack of nutrition can also cause muscle cramps. So it’s necessary to eat a nutrient-dense diet regularly.
- Certain Medicines- Certain medicines can cause muscle cramps. These medicines don’t directly cause the problem. However, cramping is a possible side-effect of certain medications. These medicines might include OTC drugs for insulin, cholesterol, and BP. Thus, you must consult a doctor if you experience muscle cramps.
- Tight Muscles- Cramps can also happen due to overworking the muscles. For example, running after a long time can cause muscle cramping. Furthermore, it can occur due to excessive physical activities.
Symptoms of Diabetes Muscle Cramps
Most patients experience similar kinds of diabetes muscle cramp symptoms. These symptoms include pain, numbness, stinging, and burning sensations. Furthermore, these symptoms might lead to critical health conditions without treatment.
Getting early treatment can help in preventing critical nerve damage. Furthermore, it can stop the diabetic neuropathy problem from worsening. Thus, consult a doctor immediately if you experience any of the above symptoms.
Treatment of Diabetes Muscle Cramps
There are many treatment options for diabetes muscle cramps. However, the treatment option will depend upon your symptoms and their severity. That’s why the doctor will ask some questions to examine your health condition.
One of the most common treatment options is managing blood sugar levels. You can prevent diabetic muscle cramps by effectively managing blood sugar levels. On the other hand, it also helps to stop diabetic neuropathy from becoming worse.
For patients experiencing mild pain, the doctors may prescribe common pain relievers. These may include pain-killers like aspirin or ibuprofen.
In cases with tolerable to severe pain, the doctors may prescribe strong pain-killers. These OTC pain-relievers may include duloxetine or pregabalin. Also, opioid medicines may be necessary for some cases.
Home Remedies For Diabetes Muscle Cramps
Here are some of the best home remedies for treating diabetes muscle cramps.
- Stretching Before Sleeping- Before going to bed, perform some stretching exercises. By stretching your arms, calves, and feet, you can prevent night muscle cramps. To know the best stretching exercises, consult your doctor about this.
- Massage- Use oil to massage your legs and feet before going to bed. It helps to ease the tightened muscles and prevent cramping. Thus, you may use lavender oil or rosemary oil to massage thoroughly.
- Regular Exercise- Exercise helps to keep our muscles flexible and relaxed. On the other hand, a sedentary lifestyle can cause muscle stiffness and cramps. Thus, it’s crucial to exercise regularly. Some of the best exercises include walking, jogging, and cardio, etc.
- Healthy Diet- Our diet plays a vital role in managing blood sugar levels. Furthermore, it’s also crucial for the proper functioning of body muscles. Thus, consult a nutritionist to get a custom diet plan for you. It will surely help to control and prevent muscle cramps.
- Supplements- Sometimes, the diet isn’t enough to fulfill our body’s nutritional needs. In such cases, you must consume nutrition supplements. Thus, it will meet the body’s needs and prevent muscle cramps.
- Other Treatment Options- Apart from these, there are other treatment options that you may try. These include physiotherapy, acupuncture, leg cradles, and warm water leg soaking.
That’s a wrap!
So this is everything that you need to know about diabetes muscle cramps. If you’re experiencing this problem, consult a doctor at the earliest. Furthermore, try the above home remedies to ease the pain and prevent cramps.
very interesting, good job I read this post your post is so nice and very informative post thanks for sharing this post 🙂