One of the most important duties of a new mother is to feed her baby. Most popularly it is called breastfeeding. A study at the University of Helsinki proved that breastfeeding helps in protecting babies from several antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
Research done by the University of Buffalo stated that there is a link between breastfeeding and the future health of the infants. So Healthy Breastfeeding keeps them safe
The mothers are always worried about their babies. They have got several questions like: are they providing the right nutrients to their baby? Or, do they need to work on something more?
I have listed up some of the best breastfeeding tips for you.
- Predict your baby’s need: Don’t wait for your baby to cry. There are several signs done by babies to predict that they are hungry. The most popular 2 signs are: they may open or close their mouth. Or, they turn or raise their head. Once you sense that your baby is hungry, start feeding him with your breast.
- Comfort yourself while nursing your baby: You are going to spend a lot of time feeding your baby with your breast milk. It is important that you should maintain correct posture while holding your baby otherwise, it may cause shoulder, back or neck pain. Research dated 29th January 2019, conducted at society for neuroscience stated that if you are having one night of improper sleep then it will increase the pain in your body while breastfeeding.
Two Comfortable Healthy Breastfeeding Positions
- Lie on one of your sides and let your baby face you.
- Sit in a sloppy position with your baby lying on you
- Allow your baby to decide the right posture while breastfeeding: After several turns of breastfeeding, your baby will find the best position for him. Stick to that position and make feeding easier for your baby.
- Baby’s mouth and your nipple should be in the right posture.
- Always slightly tilt his head backward.
- Keep sure that while feeding his nose is clear.
- Leaking of breast milk is natural: During the starting weeks of breastfeeding, leaking of milk is a natural process. It happens if you hear a cry of some other baby, if you think about him or if you are having some strong emotion for him. The leaking disappears completely as you feed your baby from time to time.
Healthy breastfeeding diet
- Include foods like meat, fish, eggs, beans, nuts and other foods rich in protein. You should consume it at least 2-3 times per day.
- You should also eat 3 to 4 servings of vegetables, which should include dark green and yellow vegetables per day.
- Never forget to eat at least 2 servings of fruits per day.
- Whole grains like pasta, cereal, and oatmeal should be added to your diet.
- Always keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
- If you want to drink alcohol, then before breastfeeding you just need to wait for 2 to 3 hours after each serving.
- Caffeine is passed into your baby through your milk. Most of the babies are unaffected by it. If you are getting a feeling that your baby is not getting a perfect sleep, then you need to cut down the caffeine content in your diet.
- Feed your baby with the right amount of nutrition enriched milk such that he gets a healthy upbringing.
Just keep in mind that your baby can not ask for what he needs. It is your duty to provide his nutritional requirements on your own.
Also, know that the only way of expressing his feelings is by crying. You will need to spend more time with your baby and try to interpret his cry. I am a mother and I can assure you that within a few months, you will be able to transcribe the purpose behinds your baby cry.